Model essays will help
- Essay writing technique.
- How to answer the question asked.
- How to evaluate questions which require it.
- The essays were all written exclusively for this pdf guide.
- 50 questions and answers
- View: Sample A-level model essay
List of Macro Essays
- Using the data and your own knowledge, evaluate the effectiveness of monetary policy in achieving macroeconomic stability in the UK. (25)
- Discuss the view that achieving full employment will inevitably cause trade-offs with other macroeconomic objectives. (25)
- Evaluate whether economic growth will reduce poverty?
- Compare the effectiveness of supply side and demand side policies to correct deficits on a country’s current account of the Balance of Payments (25)
- Assess the economic effects of a significant increase in taxation on the UK economy (25)
- Discuss the impact of globalisation on UK economy (25)
- Both the UK and US balance of payments accounts are recording large deficits on their trade in goods balance. Do such deficits matter? (25)
- Explain how countries benefit from international trade even though they may produce similar goods and services. 
- Discuss the factors that determine the trade competitiveness of the UK economy. (15)
- Discuss the importance of promoting free trade through organisations such as the WTO (25)
- A Government is faced with an unacceptably high level of unemployment, but does not wish to increase its overall expenditure. Discuss alternative policies for reducing unemployment. (25)
- Explain possible economic reasons for government borrowing. (10)
- Evaluate the possible problems for the UK economy of increased government borrowing. (25)
- Explain the possible causes of economic growth. (10)
- Evaluate the potential impact on the economic growth of the UK economy if it were to adopt the single European currency. (25)
- Discuss policies to reduce inflation (25)
- Evaluate the impact on UK macroeconomic performance of a sustained rise in the value of the Pound against the dollar and Euro (25)
- Evaluate the possible consequences of a falling rate of inflation for the performance of the UK economy. (25)
- Discuss the impact of an increase in interest rates (25)
- Discuss how the government might improve the UK’s long term economic growth.
- Discuss factors that may limit economic growth rates in different countries. (25)
- Discuss the problems an economy might face in recovering from a period of recession? (25)
- Assess the impact on UK macroeconomic performance of a prolonged period of deflation. (25)
- Evaluate market-based and interventionist policies for promoting economic development (25)
- Evaluate whether the receipt of remittances benefits developing economies.
List of Micro Economics Essays in Guide
MICRO AND MACRO
- Evaluate the microeconomic and macroeconomic impact on the UK economy due to a decline in the level of public investment. (25)
- Evaluate the impact of rising house prices on both the macro-economy and the micro-economy. 6
- Evaluate the extent to which profit maximization is the most important objective influencing the activities of a firm in the real world. (25)
- Discuss how firms within an oligopolistic market compete (25)
- Discuss whether monopoly is always an undesirable form of market structure. (25)
- Evaluate the view that only producers and not consumers, benefit when oligopolistic firms collude to try to reduce the uncertainty they experience. (25)
- Explain why contestable markets generally function more efficiently than non-contestable markets. (10)
- In the past, utility industries such as the postal service, electricity and gas, have been heavily protected by entry barriers. Evaluate the possible effects on efficiency and resource allocation of removing these barriers. (25)
- Evaluate the view that, because price discrimination enables firms to make more profit, firms, but not consumers, benefit from price discrimination. (25)
- Evaluate different ways in which governments could make markets more competitive. (25)
- Discuss the extent to which new technology, such as the internet, has increased or decreased the competitiveness of markets. (25)
- Discuss the impact of deregulation on the local bus industry in Great Britain (25)
- Evaluate the view that the government should give financial assistance to firms producing cars in the UK to increase their competitiveness. (25)
- Evaluate the view that government intervention can correct all the market failures caused by the effects of economic activity on the environment. (25)
- In some European countries, price controls are imposed upon pharmaceutical companies. Discuss the case for government intervention to control market prices. (25)
- Discuss whether the government should ever consider nationalising privatised industries? (25)
- Assess the case for and against the government intervening to raise the disposable income of workers on low pay. (25)
- Do you agree that if a trade union persuades employers to increase wages in a labour market, employment must inevitably fall in that labour market? Justify your answer? (25)
- Assess three labour market policies which might be used to increase the level of employment amongst incapacity claimants and lone parents on benefits. (25)
- Discuss the impact of net migration on UK labour markets (25)
- Discuss the relative merits of welfare benefits and taxes for reducing relative poverty in the UK (25)
- Discuss whether Cost-benefit analysis is a practical way to decide whether projects, such as new roads, should go ahead. (15)
- Discuss the case for a toll on motorway travel (25)
- Discuss whether giving increased subsidies to firms providing bus services would correct the market failure arising from urban road congestion. (25)
Just micro or macro
Using the Model Essays
- Note: The aim of this guide is to show how an economics essay can be written; and give insights on how to structure and start writing your answers. There are different ways of tackling these questions
- A good way to use this guide, is to take a question and write down an essay plan of what you would write for the question. Then have a look at my answer, see what is missing, consider whether you understood what the question was asking.
- Also, note how much evaluation I will add for any question which asks for discuss, evaluate, assess e.t.c
I have worked as an examiner and Team Leader for Edexcel for five years.