- This is a list of the gross National debt that countries have. National debt refers to the amount of total government debt a country has. This is also referred to as ‘public sector debt’.
- It is compiled using data from the IMF, Eurostat and CIA agencies.
- Note: National debt is different to ‘External debt‘ – External debt includes all the debts a country (both private and public sector) owe to foreigners.
- Note: You may see slightly different figures for government debt levels, depending how it is measured. For example,
- In Q1 2014 – Net US debt was 74% (debt held by private sector). Gross US debt was 103% (this includes intra-governmental holdings
- Updated October, 2014
List of National Debt by Country
General gross government debt. Mostly using CIA from April 2014.
Debt levels for 2013.