The UK has a complex system of benefits that hopes to reduce relative poverty, whilst avoiding the problems of reducing incentives to work.
UK benefit spending
Benefits include both means tested and universal benefits
Source: OBR – Economic and Fiscal Outlook, fiscal supplementary tables, Dec. 2014
Main UK Benefits include:
- Incapacity benefit
- Unemployment benefit / job seekers allowance
- Housing benefit
- Universal credit
- Child Benefit
- Disability allowance and personal independence payments.
- Sickness Benefits
- Benefits in Kind
- The growing size of the welfare state in the UK
- Benefit spending in the UK
- Policies to reduce relative poverty