The UK national debt is the total amount of money the British government owes to the private sector and other purchasers of UK gilts.
- At the end of June 2014, public sector net debt (excluding financial interventions (PSND ex) was £1,304.6 billion, equivalent to 77.3% of gross domestic product.
- Source: ONS [1. ONS public sector finances ] [This figure excludes temporary effects of financial interventions (PSND ex) (page updated Aug 12th 2014)
- For the financial year 2013/14, Public Sector Net Borrowing PSNB ex was £93.7 billion – (5.6% of GDP)
- The central government net cash requirement (CGNCR) for the financial year 2013/14 was £75.4 billion, £29.6 billion lower than the same period in 2012/13 (£105.0 billion). This figure is lower than PSNB ex because it includes one off receipts, e.g. Royal Mail transfer.
- See also: UK budget deficit
Office for Budget Responsibility
As well as ONS, the Office for Budget Responsibility is a good source for data.
Latest statistics at OBR